SIM Malawi is dedicated to sharing Christ’s love in Malawi in word and deed. We do this through the following ministries.
- Pursue the least-reached: plant churches among the Yao people and in stronghold areas of animistic society, equip pastors and church leaders for Muslim ministry and reach out to Chinese and Indian communities in Malawi.
- Build the Church: partner with the Africa Evangelical Church, the Evangelical Bible College of Malawi and others through providing training and teaching materials.
- Reach children and youth: expand Sunday school teacher training, youth and children ministry co – ordination, develop ministries and leaders (including Sports Friends) and partner with the Kids in Need Deserve Love and Encouragement (KINDLE) Orphan Outreach and the Sunday School Teachers United Movement.
- Impact the HIV and AIDS crisis: work with Hope for Life, partner with medical organizations, assist in community programs and support medical centers to develop HIV and AIDS services.
- Advance mission: develop and send missionaries to and from Malawi, encourage mission engagement in the Church and include missions in theological training.
Communities where He is least known
Yao and other Muslims
SIM has been working amongst the Yao people of Malawi since the late 1980s. The Yao are almost exclusively Muslim and are spread across eastern Malawi, northern Mozambique and southern Tanzania. In partnership with the Bible Society, the Scriptures were translated into Yao, and the full Yao Bible was published in 2014. Many missionaries have come and gone during this time — it is a difficult area in which to minister.
SIM also partners with OM in the ministry of Radio Lilanguka (“light” in the Yao language), a community radio station based in Mangochi, and with GZB, a Dutch mission organization in a ministry called Mthenga Wabwino (“good messenger” in the Chichewa language). Mthenga Wabwino provides resources and training to help churches throughout Malawi engage with the Muslim communities around them.
Pray for the blessing of God’s Word in the heart language of the Yao people to impact this people group.
Pray for the ministry of Radio Lilanguka, that many Yao would hear the gospel and respond.
Pray for missionaries and ministry workers to declare the good news of Jesus in the face of spiritual warfare.
Pray for the work of Mthenga Wabwino in training and mobilizing churches for outreach to Muslims.
Pray for fellowship groups of Yao believers to grow and be courageous witnesses in their own communities.
Pray for more kingdom workers to be sent to minister among the Yao.
Interested in serving in Malawi?
Complete the form below, and a member of our team will reach out to learn more about you, answer your questions, and discuss next steps as you explore serving with SIM.
Please note that SIM missionaries raise financial support. We trust God to provide and we will assist you in the support raising process! If this is a concern for you, our recruitment team will be happy to discuss this process with you further.