AN IN-DEPTH MISSIONS EXPERIENCE
Our midterm assignments typically last one to two years and are designed to expand and strengthen ongoing ministry. The experience is invaluable, both to the one going and to the people at the ministry site. Midterm missionaries serve long enough to get a clear sense of what long term ministry is like, as well as accomplishing a lot for the Kingdom. Whether you’re looking for a more in-depth mission experience, or exploring God’s plan for your life, we want to connect you to God’s work around the world.
THE JOURNEY TO A MIDTERM ASSIGNMENT
CONNECT Find more details about the Connect event here.
By the end of Connect, you will have:
- Time away from the normal busyness of life.
- Additional direction in discerning God’s call for your life in ministry.
- An understanding of what SIM does, our Core Values, doctrinal views, and what it looks like to serve with us.
- Time with SIM missionaries who have served all over the world.
- A multitude of experiences with others seeking the Lord’s will, just like you.
After completing the application, your Recruitment Coordinator will connect you with an Applicant Coordinator who will then walk with you through the second half of the screening process and discuss specific placement opportunities. Ready to begin? Get Started Now!
RDM is the name we give to the process of building a fully engaged prayer and financial support team for ministry with SIM. Even before you applied to SIM, you probably began this process by sharing your ministry dreams with friends and family. After placement is confirmed, you can begin raising support. We will train you and give you tools to effectively share your vision for ministry. We’ll do this by:
- Online Training – We have developed an interactive, seven-module online training course that includes a study on the biblical basis of raising support, cohort interaction, and SIM-specific principles and practices for this important ministry.
- Onsite Workshops – In addition to the online course, you will also have the opportunity to participate in focused RDM training, called Bootcamp, at OnBoard, SIM’s orientation located in Charlotte, NC.
- Virtual Reunions - Follow up with optional monthly virtual calls to share how God is working and moving you towards your fully funded goal, and share your prayer requests.
Two OnSITE training events are held multiple times a year at our campus in Charlotte, NC. During these times, you and other new SIM missionaries will learn about:
- Maintaining a vibrant walk with God
- Computer security
- Personal security
- Personality and interpersonal communication
- Serving as part of a multicultural team
- SIM finances and medical benefits
- Dealing with stress
- Much, much more!
We value having a well-trained team, yet we recognize that everyone does not need the same level of training, so we adapt our prefield requirements based on length and type of service. Before releasing people to go, we want them to be field-ready missionaries, emotionally healthy people ready to adapt to a new culture and able to use their skills and abilities in ministry. As a preparing missionary you will have residential, cross-culture training through one of our trusted training partners, online training requirements, and language acquisition training. We believe that lifelong learning is essential to a missionary’s ability to thrive in ministry, so why not begin now?
For many new missionaries, language school is required for effective communication in the new culture. Individual needs vary depending on location and anticipated ministry, and in many cases language school takes place where you will serve.
Before returning to your hometown, you’ll spend a couple days at the U.S. Office in Charlotte. During your time here, you will participate in a reentry interview, giving you the opportunity to share freely about your experience on the field. You’ll also to meet with people in various departments to your accounts, personnel needs, and to prepare for what comes next. Coming home can be more difficult than leaving home was, so we’ll talk about those dynamics and help you make the adjustment well.
As part of the reentry process you will be given a chance to meet with our medical staff to discuss your physical health over the last term and to receive information you may need for follow up.
Continuing in Mission
Concluding your midterm assignment doesn’t mean an end to your involvement in mission! Our prayer is that your experience will fuel your engagement in God’s mission, whether that means returning to serve overseas, becoming a financial partner, or recruiting others to go and serve like you did. We’re here to assist you as you explore next steps in seeking what the Lord has for you. We want to help keep you connected God’s work around the world.
Is God leading your to explore a midterm assignment?
Click the button below to explore midterm opportunities available through SIM. If you’re ready to get started, complete the form below, and a member of our team will contact you to learn more of your story and help you discern how God may be leading you.
Please note that SIM missionaries raise financial support. We trust God to provide and we will assist you in the support raising process! If this is a concern for you, our recruitment team will be happy to discuss this process with you further.