We returned to our home overseas at the end of March and have been adjusting to our life with the three kids. Mary has been a great baby and Neal and Lori are doing well also. It’s been a long time since we were in a routine, and it feels good to be getting back to normal. We loved being in the US for Christmas, and to have Mary, but it was a long time. Being away reminded us why we are here. In the US we have our family and friends, but here is where God called us, and that is the place we want to be. Aside from God’s call, there is no reason we would be here, and we were starting to see him work in some our friends’ lives. That is exciting, and all honor is due him.
Returning has made me realize how hopeless and dark people’s lives are here. There are so few believers and the effect on society is stark. The land here is physically beautiful, the weather is nice, the food is great, and people are friendly. This place has a lot going for it, but when you live here you realize there is an emptiness. So many people have a God shaped hole in their lives and it affects everything around here.
This past month has been especially revealing because it has been the month of Ramadan and our cousins fast from food, drink and nicotine from dawn until dusk for a month. It’s always a heavy sort of time, because it is sad seeing people put so much hope in something that is not the answer.
That being said, it has been good returning to our place of work. I returned to language school full time, Neal and Lori returned to their friends at the daycare in the morning, and Mary has been with Rita figuring out what this world is all about. I have also started coaching again and it’s been good to see the guys. They took winter off, so I didn’t miss much. It’s nice seeing familiar faces, and building relationships is what this is all about right now. We have been seeing our friends and are walking through the doors that God has opened. We have the chance to build relationships of significance and share the good news. For that we praise God, and we praise God that you are in our lives.
- Our time in the US was a huge blessing. Seeing family and friends was awesome.
- Rita’s mom came back with us and stayed for a month! It was a huge blessing.
- Neal and Lori seem to have adjusted back to their daycare and friends.
- We have been seeing God work in the lives of the people we are around.
- Pray for our kids adjustment to life.
- Pray for football. There have been a few issues with scheduling/personnel/drama. Pray that I would be a Godly example and this year would be transformative for the players and coaches.
- Pray for us both as we adjust to having a new baby and figuring out a new balance to life with 3 littles.
- Pray for our friends and neighbors to see the truth and follow it. Pray that we could reconnect quickly.
- Pray for our Arabic that we would learn, speak and understand well.
- Pray that all the details would work out for a move to a new apartment this summer. We have had some ongoing water issues with our current place but hope to stay in the neighborhood.