Making water safe to drink

SIM USASIM Global March 2017Leave a Comment

Water filters and medical treatment are bringing hope to Bangladesh

The growth on Mr. Punno’s finger seemed minor, but it was preventing him from working. He’s a farmer with a wife and child, and his hands are his livelihood. So he went to the hospital to have it checked out. That’s when doctors discovered cancer—not just on his finger but through his pelvis.

Sadly, arsenic poisoning is common among people of Mr. Punno’s village. Their water is contaminated, which can cause a variety of ailments, including deadly cancer. He would need extensive treatment to have a chance of surviving. SIM’s Arsenic Poisoning Prevention program was ready to pay 75 percent of the cost. But could he pay the remaining 25 percent?

Mr. Punno revealed that he had little money—but he did have two goats at home that he could sell. Would that be sufficient?

This heartrending story illustrates the suffering that arsenicosis brings to poor villagers throughout Bangladesh. The greater tragedy is that it’s all preventable. A simple water filter can make the water safe to drink and cook with.

SIM is providing these water filters to villagers throughout the region, and the results are promising. Skin diseases and nausea begin to recede. People feel confident to drink, cook, and live normal lives again. SIM also helps provide medical care for those who have already become sick.

Thanks to your generosity, SIM was able to make special provision to pay for Mr. Punno’s treatment. He’s now receiving chemotherapy, and SIM workers have had opportunities to pray with him and his family. This is how your gifts are showing the love of God to people in desperate need.

“Brothers and sisters, pray for us that the message of the Lord may spread rapidly and be honored, just as it was with you.”—2 Thessalonians 3:1

Give Now

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *