To see a vibrant community of disciples being transformed by the gospel, influencing others, and multiplying throughout Japan and Asia. Our mission is to partner with Japanese believers in making disciples of Jesus Christ who experience whole-life transformation as individuals, families, and communities, leading to the multiplication of leaders and congregations.
SIM exists in Japan in partnership with Asian Access (A2), an interdenominational and evangelical missionary agency working throughout Asia to develop leaders and multiply churches. Started in 1967 as Language Institute For Evangelism, Asian Access began in Japan as a ministry that sought to share the gospel and strengthen local churches with a view toward church planting throughout Japan, but now A2 serves throughout Asia.
SIM and A2 personnel currently work with various churches in the Tokyo Metro (Kanto) and Northeast (Tohoku) regions of Japan. Following the March 11, 2011 earthquakes and resultant tsunamis, several A2 families relocated from West-central (Kansai) Japan to assist churches in hardest hit areas of the Northeast; several new missionaries have arrived over the past year to round out the team.
Our ministries include:
- Conversational English and English Bible Classes
- Evangelism, discipleship, and church planting
- Ministry to marriages and families
- Surfing, cooking, crafts, and other areas of interest to connect with new seekers
- The arts community
- Restoration and healing in the triple disaster area
Points for Prayer
- Open doors and open hearts toward Christ and the gospel
- Development of a new strategy and plan for deploying missionaries in Kanto (1 in 4 Japanese live in the Kanto region)
- For those affected by the triple disaster to find healing and hope in Christ
- For marriages and families to be transformed through various family ministries focused on their needs
- For a church multiplication movement to take root and sweep across Japan as the Church rediscovers herself following the triple disaster.