Our overall goals in Nigeria are:
- Evangelism: To support strategic outreach to unreached people groups, children, and youth.
- Ministry to human need: To encourage ministries of compassion.
- Discipleship: To develop and mentor Christian leaders and nurture lay Christians to maturity.
- Partnering in missions: To equip church leaders to develop multiplying churches.
Although our primary ministry partner is the Evangelical Church Winning All (ECWA) we also work with other denominational and interdenominational groups.
- Unreached people groups: SIM Nigeria is working toward developing SIM teams in strategic centres in the core north, working with Evangelical Mission Society personnel, focusing on evangelism, discipleship, general and theological education, community health, development, and literacy.
- Partnerships with indigenous organisations have effectively provided training, motivation, love, and evangelism to people of other religions.
- Local churches are encouraged to increase outreach to a large unreached people group in Nigeria.
- Churches, departments, seminaries, and denominations are reaching out to youth, discipling them, and engaging them in ministry. SIM is identifying and empowering youth ministry development coordinators to lead the thrust in youth work.
- SIM supports and empowers the children’s ministry in ECWA’s Christian Education Department and recruits SIM personnel for children’s ministry.
- Teaching: SIM enhances the capacity of Christian teachers to provide a biblical worldview and lead children to follow Christ and encourages Nigerians to be committed and active in reaching and discipling children.
- The capacity of Nigerian health workers is enlarged to minister with competence, compassion, and effective evangelistic witness.
- SIM Nigeria supports the church in providing education and care for the suffering and marginalized.
- Help build the capacity of church leaders to effectively lead the church through discipling, equipping, and mobilising church members for spiritual growth and community impact. This is done generally through theological education, but specifically, through discipleship workshops and personal interaction.
- Providing good discipleship materials suited to different contexts.
- Through theological education and other means, SIM missionaries assist the church to recruit, train, and support Nigerian missionaries and church planters ministering to unreached people groups inside and outside Nigeria, including a large unreached people group in Nigeria, with emphasis on northern Nigeria.
- SIM Nigeria recruits missionaries with skills and character qualities that will make an appropriate contribution to the growth of the church in Nigeria.
- Emphasize prayer as a priority for SIM missionaries, including regular corporate prayer times and prayer seminars.
- Encourage and equip missionaries to incorporate discipling into their daily ministries.
- SIM Nigeria provides a high quality of administration, MK education, health and member care services to develop and sustain SIM missionaries and their children on the field.
- They assist ECWA in using media to reach unreached people groups.
- They provide trauma healing workshops and debriefing for churches, other groups, and individuals impacted by ongoing civil crises.
Points for Prayer
- Pray for the Nigerian Church as it endures great hardship and persecution. Many Christians are being targeted, especially in the north and northeast of the country.
- Pray that Nigerian Christians will exercise love and forgiveness and will pursue peace in the current environment.
- Pray that true biblical discipleship will be a priority.
- Pray for church leaders to effectively lead the church by discipling, equipping, and mobilising church members for spiritual growth and community impact.
- Pray that mature Christians will mentor and disciple others for growth and pray for good discipleship materials suited to different contexts.
- Pray for health workers to minister with competence, compassion, and effective evangelistic witness to the suffering and marginalized in Nigeria, including AIDS patients, burn patients, orphans, and widows.
- Pray for Muslim people in the north of Nigeria.
- Pray for the ministries to children and youth and that more workers will become committed and active in reaching and discipling youth and children.
- Pray for the SIM related church (ECWA) with its 2500 indigenous missionaries. They desire to reach far beyond Nigeria to other needy areas of the world. Pray for personnel and resources to allow this to happen.
- Pray for our missionaries as they live and minister in this high-risk environment.