In a spirit of collaboration, we see Bénin churches become mature, missional, dynamic, filled with disciples obedient to the Word of God, imitators of Christ, dependent on the Holy Spirit, and full of compassion. In unity, these disciples of all ages serve according to their gifts for the glory of God.
SIM work began in Bénin in 1946. The church that resulted is called Union des Eglises Evangéliques du Bénin and today includes almost 500 congregations in 11 language groups led by 270 pastors. The UEEB provides pastoral training in nine vernacular languages and in French.
- Translation and literacy: Three teams are presently working on the Old Testament in Yom, Monkolé, and Fulfulde. The Fulfulde and Sola New Testaments were dedicated last year.
- Radio: SIM and UEEB partner to produce radio programs in 15 languages and broadcast on 20 FM stations throughout the country.
- Medical: The Bembéréké Evangelical Hospital celebrated 50 years of ministry last year. Several satellite dispensaries are attached to the ministry.
- Theological education: SIM presently has two teachers, one in the French Bible Institute, and one in a vernacular language. Guest lecturers are appreciated.
- General education: While UΕΕB has several primary schools, SIM’s main involvement is with the girls’ school where basic skills are taught, including literacy. Teacher training workshops based on Christian worldview principles have become an annual event.
- Leadership development and evangelism: Several workers are involved in training in servant leadership, team building, evangelism, and church planting.
Points for Prayer
- The SIM Bénin team eagerly desires to live out the passion of God for the unreached. Pray for them as they develop strategies in response to the vision God has placed in their hearts. Strategies include prayer, training (spiritual, theological, and professional), discipleship and mentoring, justice issues, church and community development, evangelizing the unreached, and children and youth.
- Pray for the Personnel Department as it works with the sending offices to recruit laborers, including workers from West African fields.
- Pray for new and healthy partnerships as SIM Bénin expands in territory and scope of ministry. New initiatives are underway to reach the Dendi people group and urban centers like Porto Novo.
- Pray for workers who are true disciples and desirous of discipling others. Pray for an effective field mentoring program.